Sober Chick

Here are the unleashed pages of a sober chick in recovery. My journey (date of sobriety) began on June 13th, 2005. For 29 years of my life I was spiritually sick. Emotinally defeated by drunken black-outs, bulimic binging and purging episodes and self-mutilation, I finally surrendered.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Checking In- Happy HNT!

Whew, non stop!

Last weekend we moved Mitch's mom to Arizona, and this weekend I am off to Vegas to see my little and only brother get married. At first I was really upset. The dialog in my head telling me that Vegas is boring for someone like me. Sinister tempatations lie there, gambling, alcohol and many other things. Then I was thinking I have to get a dress, find a hotel, how to get there, a pet sitter, blah blah blah.

I am such a little fart, cuz HELLO it is my brother's BIG day. Get over yourself Sober Chick. So I came to that thing we recovery folks call acceptance. Once I shut the committee down in my wonderful but sick mind I began to see thru the forest. I can have fun in Vegas! I then booked a flight, hotel and rental car for my sweetheart and I. Mitch does not drink or gamble (just cuz it is a choice of a healthy lifestyle, go figure! I love my Al-Anon "normie") and so we planned events that we both can do there and have "us" time.

We got tickets to Cirque du Soleil. Mitch was a gymnast in college at Illinois State and was a member of the Circus team there (he taught me how to juggle clubs, he bought me a set of pink ones -- I am learning new tricks and passing with him, I will have to show yall someday). We are going sight seeing and have gonna have sober FUN! Plus I get to see my brother get married, that is amazing to me and I will cry, I just know it. This is his first marriage (and Jen's, his fiance, I love her to death, the perfect balance for my brother) and they have no kids, only 3 dogs. These decisions are based from our experiences as kids -- growing up in a violent broken home and not following in that path.

I am grateful for my experiences as a child, and the pain endured. I began to follow the footsteps of my ill father, but have been so blessed with angels around me that intervention occurred before I fell into the depths of complete insanity.

I am busy with work too, but all things should reside after this weekend then we begin painting our home and making it ours. Yay.

grAAtitude, woot-woot!
- Trish, that she loved me and did not judge me when I was so sick and living in her house -- and for her support and unconditional love as I began my life-long recovery
- My sweety-Pie and the foundation we are building together
- that Olive did not hurt herself when she slipped down the stairs this morning (we have hardwood floors and our Old Lady has trouble sometimes)
- that I have a chance to blog today and catch up on your lives
- all the people that are a part of my recovery, MUAH!
- for my plants still hanging in there with their new mommy! (I think your prayers are working)

and . . .

hAApy HNT, I am placing my naked but alive plants today as greetings!

More lively HNT peeps right HERE!

14 Comments:

At 8/17/2006 11:07 AM, Blogger Carly tells all . . .

Hey Chickie! I've wondered where you've been and what you've been up to (how nosey of me! :)) since it'd been a while since you posted. Glad things are going well and SO NICE to read a new post from you. Have a wonderful day!

 
At 8/17/2006 2:39 PM, Blogger Katy tells all . . .

Hi buddy!

Gosh how I love to hear the way you work things out in your heart and in your head... I'm always in awe of your amazing ability to look through to the light of any difficult situation. That HP of ours is pretty great huh?! :O)

I hope you have a FANTASTIC time in Vegas!!! New York, NY has a really fun roller coaster up top if you're looking for more fun things to add to your days. If you end up going, scream for me while you're up there... It's cathartic!

xoxo

 
At 8/17/2006 2:47 PM, Blogger Katy tells all . . .

P.S... Your plants look beautiful! What a great mommy they have!!! ;O)

 
At 8/17/2006 4:49 PM, Blogger Mary Christine tells all . . .

Mauh! from MC! Glad to see you post. Can't wait to hear about your trip to LV.
XXXOOO,
MC

 
At 8/17/2006 9:59 PM, Blogger Tennessee Santa tells all . . .

Enjoy the city of lights. The fountain in front of the Belagio is really cool.

 
At 8/17/2006 11:02 PM, Blogger butterflygirl tells all . . .

Enjoy!

 
At 8/18/2006 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous tells all . . .

Hey you little fart..
this is a fab'post!

(you have been busy!!!!)

Again,I am struck by your honesty,love and journey observations.

You are a fab' little fart :) LOL
Thanks for sharing ~

 
At 8/18/2006 12:02 PM, Blogger Trudging tells all . . .

Good insight

 
At 8/18/2006 10:23 PM, Blogger lash505 tells all . . .

Viva las Vegas...

 
At 8/19/2006 5:26 PM, Blogger Alcoholic Brain tells all . . .

Very very cool! Good for you!! I'm always smiling here!! Mind if I hang for a while? Have fun!:o)

 
At 8/20/2006 6:25 AM, Blogger Unknown tells all . . .

That sounds like such fun. Pink juggle clubs ~ how cool.

I am glad you were able to get thru your thinking about your bros wedding. You really will have a nice time.

How exciting!

 
At 8/20/2006 6:34 AM, Blogger Scott M. Frey tells all . . .

that's totally kool, how you had those fears, concenrs, then HP kicked in and got your thinkin on a better track... I am sure your weekend in vegas will be awesome, that Mitch is a lucky guy to have such a recoveirng, life-living wife! Awesome stuf SC!!

 
At 8/20/2006 10:02 AM, Blogger ~MsManna~ tells all . . .

I agree, it is so nice to hear how you work thru your stuff and come out okay. I have a friend who can see the good in any situation, she is the same way. And Acceptance is such a wonderful tool we have to help us be able to see our way to the other side! And HP is so good all the time!

 
At 8/21/2006 7:33 PM, Blogger Mama Dukes tells all . . .

MUAH!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home