Sober Chick

Here are the unleashed pages of a sober chick in recovery. My journey (date of sobriety) began on June 13th, 2005. For 29 years of my life I was spiritually sick. Emotinally defeated by drunken black-outs, bulimic binging and purging episodes and self-mutilation, I finally surrendered.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Another Furball 4 HNT

Yes it is another pic of one of my babies and me. I took this one as a screen capture from the iSight on my Mac as I was blogging at home. Please take not of the mirror ceiling . . . NOT our idea so please don't get kinky ideas. LOL. Come See Us being hAAppy on this fine HNT HERE!

I grew up in a broken household. My dad was in daily blackouts and I learned to love him by feeling sorry for him. My parents would argue frequently and violence would break out. I went to a place within to feel safe. Over the years as a child I discovered safety in loving my animals. They did not hurt me or make me feel scared. They needed me and made me feel that I had a purpose.

This carried onto my adult life. In fact, I went to school to be a Veterinary. I worked as a veterinary technician for 7 years. I went to school and almost finished my undergraduate classes. I became lost in life, the merry go round stopped and my avenues of numbing did not work anymore. I seeked false serenity in food and alcohol.

I went back to school because I wanted to make more money. I wanted my career and money status to define my self worth. I thought it would complete me. Today I realized what I walked away from. I made less money, was on my feet all day, delt with emotional clients, and so on. I was so happy, I had true purpose and so much more. I miss it all. This is ok. I am very gAAteful where I am at today. The team I work with know I am in recovery. I laugh here often and I like the moral here. I cannot take this for granted or I will always be searching for the fix tomorrow.

Just for today I choose to live in the solution and embrace that which is right in front of me. Did you feel that? I am embracing your love. ;)

19 Comments:

At 8/10/2006 9:33 AM, Blogger Scott M. Frey tells all . . .

it's great to live life doing the next right thing... it feels good to me to try my best to make myself and my resources available (prudently) to help those around me. I am guessing that I may even earn a bit of an income as a result. It's calming to be able to be in a financially scary, tight time and not be freaking out because you know what you're doing is good and right and helpful.... I love living in the spiritual solution like you say.... I love it! Great post today SC! Cute kitty cat photo...

peace to you, thanks for bein my friend!

 
At 8/10/2006 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous tells all . . .

I love you :)

 
At 8/10/2006 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous tells all . . .

..I mean I love you in a blogger buddy kind of way.Thought I should clarify that so you don't worry I am cyber stocking you or anything! LOL
I just love your energy and honesty is all...Thank you for sharing ~

 
At 8/10/2006 7:42 PM, Blogger Mary Christine tells all . . .

Thanks for sharing some of your story with us.

 
At 8/10/2006 10:03 PM, Blogger Rex tells all . . .

Great honesty. Thanks for sharing and that is all we can do....embrace what is right in front of us and do the next right thing. Rexie

 
At 8/11/2006 12:01 AM, Blogger butterflygirl tells all . . .

SC, I bet you were great working with animals!!! By the way, I think you have great creativity!!!

 
At 8/11/2006 4:18 AM, Blogger Recovery Road London tells all . . .

Nice share.

Dogs. Cats. It's a veritable zoo! I'm jealous. I'm not even allowed a budgie where I live.

 
At 8/11/2006 2:15 PM, Blogger Katy tells all . . .

Wonderful… Beautiful… Fabulous Sober Chick!!! Yet another great message and one that speaks to my heart!

You see, Will's sister (plbbbbb!) is coming up from your neck of the woods to stay with us this weekend and I've been stressing myself out, trying to make sure the house is perfect, the guest bedroom is as beautiful and picturesque as a fine hotel, the bathrooms are immaculate, the towels are fluffy & fresh, and I’ve even considered doing more yard work so that everything is up to par… AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! Can you say “STATUS SEEKING ANAL RETENTIVE OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE PEOPLE PLEASER?” (Deep Breath) Okay… All that and I don’t even really like or respect this person all that much.

I admire you in so many many ways my friend… You have made so many changes for the betterment of your life and have such a beautiful way of looking at life and what really matters. I may have read more into this message than you had intended, and may be pulling from some of your past messages, but what I’m taking from it is that I need to realize that I have an amazing home already… With all the love my husband & I share, all the joy of our baby kitties, and the hearts of all those who have passed through our doors in the past… This place is where the heart is and that is all it takes to make a “home”. So I’m going to quit stressing about making everything JUST RIGHT, appreciate where I am, and try to look at this weekend as an opportunity to be accepting and loving towards an otherwise difficult situation.

The most wonderful gift I’ve learned from you and from my H.P. is that “just right” is in the heart, and no matter how hard I try to look for external validation, unless I feel okay with myself, nothing else will ever be good enough. Thanks for being such a loving soul and for using your path to help others realize theirs!

Much love,

Katy

 
At 8/11/2006 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous tells all . . .

Another awesome post...thanks so much for sharing.

And...what a sweetie you have!

Hope your weekend is wonderful,

Christie

 
At 8/11/2006 4:27 PM, Blogger jake tells all . . .

thank you for the post.....

 
At 8/12/2006 6:07 AM, Blogger Unknown tells all . . .

Could you still be a Vet? You would be so great!

Thanks for your post. Animals are so healing.

G~

 
At 8/14/2006 8:48 AM, Blogger Mama Dukes tells all . . .

thank you

can you still be a vet is my question as well--

 
At 8/14/2006 9:20 AM, Blogger Pam Jarnagin tells all . . .

Awesome post, and amazing honesty. Thanks, SC for sharing this.

And, honey, you are Y-O-U-N-G!! It's not too late to change careers (my hubby has just started pursuing his third . . . *sigh*). Follow your heart.

 
At 8/14/2006 4:22 PM, Blogger jake tells all . . .

thanks for sharing.......kinky is a a great name for a kitty....

 
At 8/14/2006 10:18 PM, Blogger Sober @ Sundown tells all . . .

SC,

Thanks for sharing your past. Choosing to live in the solution, and embrace what is in front of me... Thanks for reminding me of that.

 
At 8/15/2006 8:20 AM, Blogger Shannon tells all . . .

I miss ya lady... have a great day today :D

 
At 8/15/2006 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous tells all . . .

hi sc
thank you

 
At 8/15/2006 7:27 PM, Blogger ~MsManna~ tells all . . .

Wow! I hadn't even thought of my career since I started recovery! I did feel like it defined my worth and I kept getting laid off! So I dind't feel very good at all! I am still not where I was and it really hasn't affected me like it used too! Hey, maybe it is actually growth, huh?! Thanks for the reminder!

 
At 8/21/2006 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous tells all . . .

Wonderful and informative web site.I used information from that site its great.
» »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home