Sober Chick

Here are the unleashed pages of a sober chick in recovery. My journey (date of sobriety) began on June 13th, 2005. For 29 years of my life I was spiritually sick. Emotinally defeated by drunken black-outs, bulimic binging and purging episodes and self-mutilation, I finally surrendered.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Are you a friend of Bill W?


Waiting for my Caramel Frap at Starbucks I noticed these 2 men wearing the same blue shirts ordering drinks. What caught my eye was not that they were 2 cute young guys :) What caught my eye was the AA logo imprinted on the back of the shirts they wore. There was some writing inside of it. I approached one of them and asked him if they were apart of some stag. He said "no". They are a part of a recovery group that were coming from a convention down the street. He then asked me "Are you a friend of Bill W?" "Absolutely" I replied with a smile.

I cannot tell you how many times I have met friends of Bill W when in a coffee place. There must be some universal energy that draws us alcoholics in recovery to Starbucks or Coffee Bean. This was not the first time and I know it will not be the last time I will meet one of Bill W's friends inside a coffee place.

Anytime I meet someone from AA outside of AA itself, it is one of the greatest spiritual connections ever. We share something so ugly, this disease, that together we claim victory over its destruction. My soul is rejuvinated at each experience as this!

shaking the grAAtitude:
- my ever so cool God
- my homegroup and all the beautiful recovery there
- desperation as the catalyst to my path of sobriety
- that I am in acceptance of my Mom today, and becuz of that I can really see how beautiful she is
- crayons and coloring books
- Charlie Brown and the Peanuts gang
- my life today
- Mitch and our furry babies
- slap happy giggles
- ALL the recovery bloggers that unite to share their experience, strength and hope.

14 Comments:

At 9/24/2006 6:09 PM, Blogger Jen R. tells all . . .

Thanks for your post...I feel very connected to other people in AA who share this disease with me..they feel like the only ones who fully understand how I feel.

 
At 9/24/2006 10:22 PM, Blogger Pam Jarnagin tells all . . .

I haven't met any fellow alkies in a coffee shop yet, but I'm sure that will happen someday soon! What I have noticed is that alcoholics make darn good coffee. Dunno why, but for some reason we seem to have a heightened appreciation for the bean!

 
At 9/25/2006 5:57 AM, Blogger Scott M. Frey tells all . . .

universal recovery energy= caffiene! I love meeting people in AA I don't know, or are from outta town, or when I am outta town. It just confirms the God/HP given-ness of our recovery program. It's the same for everyone, where alcoholism and recovery are concerned. It reminds me that I'm not so special or unique that it wont work for me.

Running into good lookin recovering people aint so bad either, it's how I met my wife, lol...

 
At 9/25/2006 7:40 AM, Blogger Mama Dukes tells all . . .

you are so blessed to be in such an enviornment

wish you were going to Chick to Chick in Oct-- I'm going to get my cup filled-- I'd love to be able to give you a hug

 
At 9/25/2006 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous tells all . . .

That must have been so cool. I haven't bumped into other AA's in public yet -- but just the idea and your description sounds so cool!

 
At 9/25/2006 8:50 AM, Blogger Shannon tells all . . .

I love meeting people outside of meetings and finding out that they too are friends of Bills.

Have a great day today

 
At 9/25/2006 8:50 AM, Blogger Shannon tells all . . .

I love meeting people outside of meetings and finding out that they too are friends of Bills.

Have a great day today

 
At 9/25/2006 10:09 AM, Blogger Mary Christine tells all . . .

I love meeting other friends out there amoungst the "earth people". Thanks for the pic of Bill. Don't you just love him?

 
At 9/25/2006 12:55 PM, Blogger Recovery Road London tells all . . .

I meet friends of Bill W in the most unlikely of places. gotta love it, eh?

 
At 9/25/2006 6:23 PM, Blogger Carly tells all . . .

You rock, Girl! LOVE the photo and gratitude list! You are doing so good, you make me happy. (I'm a big Peanuts fan too!)

 
At 9/25/2006 10:29 PM, Blogger Sober @ Sundown tells all . . .

Awesome post. We are everywhere......

 
At 9/26/2006 2:00 AM, Blogger Alcoholic Brain tells all . . .

Coffee and AA. Like peas and carrots. Thanks for being here!

 
At 9/26/2006 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous tells all . . .

What a great post Sober Chic.
I am sure it is that special connection the fellowship offers members that make program so successful! Cool list too..!
I love the Peanuts:)
Thanks for sharing Sober Chic.

 
At 9/26/2006 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous tells all . . .

That is awesome. I remember when I was growing up and Mom was getting sober she used to always say that to people, "Are you a friend of Bill W"....and now here I am! hehe

Christie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home