Sober Chick

Here are the unleashed pages of a sober chick in recovery. My journey (date of sobriety) began on June 13th, 2005. For 29 years of my life I was spiritually sick. Emotinally defeated by drunken black-outs, bulimic binging and purging episodes and self-mutilation, I finally surrendered.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

SIA

The SIA meeting that my sober sister starter during Decemeber has grown. It started with only 2 to 3 of us. Now, there is a good group of attendees. Self Injury is very common amomg alcoholics and addicts. I am seeing it in adolesence, little babies not even 18 yet. They sit, head down, so broken and detached from life. They should be living the excitement of youth, of opportunity, of unconditional love. Instead they are lost, living without hope, trying to keep their head above the water -- trying to hard not to drown. This is how they stay alive, cutting is a way to confirm feelings, emotions and pain so intense the body must be sliced. We all know this, a method to take us out of self.

I have been sober longer than I have been abstinant from bulimia and self-injury. I have had slips of both during this first year of sobriety, but am aiming towards progress from all as a whole. What I know is that I do not feel so hopeless as I did when I was active in all 3. Today I have a head full of my make-up, and a Creator that is helping me escape this entrappment one day at a time.

todAAy i am thAAnkful & grAAteful:
- that this year, on the 4th of July, I have my freedom (I was in a recovery home last year)
- Mel D and the similarities (even if they are sick) that we share
- Mitch and all of our animals
- Animal Planet and the company of my hyper cat Asia, she luvs watching this with me
- the pink slip from Toyota to my truck -- it is mine now!
- the Holiday weekend
- that I am a woman
- my experiences
- the World of the Fellowship and God
- year 2 of sobriety
- all of You

21 Comments:

At 7/02/2006 2:40 PM, Blogger jake tells all . . .

have a great weekend!...I enjoy reading your blog....you amaze me.....

 
At 7/02/2006 3:08 PM, Blogger butterflygirl tells all . . .

Hooray to the pink slip for your truck!! Enjoy your holiday!

 
At 7/02/2006 3:48 PM, Blogger lash505 tells all . . .

You don't have live that way anymore. That is what so beautiful.

 
At 7/02/2006 5:57 PM, Blogger Scott M. Frey tells all . . .

I am so grateful that you're recovering not only from alcoholism, but from bulemia and self injury as well. You're a really beautiful person, I would hate to imagine you hurting yourself further... I am grateful that there are programs for people in so much pain... I am also glad you're there for those people...

peace to you

 
At 7/02/2006 8:19 PM, Blogger Unknown tells all . . .

You are very brave and this courage will help so many. Thanks for your post.

 
At 7/03/2006 11:13 AM, Blogger Shannon tells all . . .

happy 4th to you too!!
thank you for your courage and honesty SC!!! hugs

 
At 7/03/2006 11:24 AM, Blogger Rex tells all . . .

Great list. Sonds like things are working well for you!

 
At 7/03/2006 4:40 PM, Blogger Alcoholic Brain tells all . . .

Great post as usual:) I watch Animal Planet too, it's the "Emergenct Vet's" part that always makes me cry..It's wonderful not to do things harmful in order to feel...You have been given a gift!

 
At 7/03/2006 7:53 PM, Blogger madameplushbottom tells all . . .

Love Animal Planet and I didn't know there is an SIA group. Thanks for enlightening us. When I am feeling sad and down and wonder why things are such a struggle for me in recovery I remember something a very wise young person said to me... All of my experiences are what they are and I made it through each of them so that I can be here to help the next person through them too and show them that they can be lived through and survived and I have survived something beautifully. I see you in the same way SC.

Take gentle care,
Meg

 
At 7/03/2006 9:37 PM, Blogger Mary Christine tells all . . .

Thanks for sharing so honestly SC.

 
At 7/04/2006 5:10 AM, Blogger JJ tells all . . .

Happy 4th of July Chick.
I see you,
JJ

 
At 7/05/2006 7:27 AM, Blogger Mama Dukes tells all . . .

my step daughter did/does the self injury---

I introduced her to AA since that is when most incidents occurred when she was drinking but she calls it a mental health issue, is on meds and and and

I'm so happy to know there is hope for all kinds of ways we and those we love hurt ourselves--

love you SC--hope you keep climbing the path

 
At 7/06/2006 9:44 AM, Blogger Shannon tells all . . .

hey lady!!! how goes it??? hope all is well :) hugs

 
At 7/06/2006 2:57 PM, Blogger Trudging tells all . . .

When I was young, I did the self injury thing. I am glad that it passed.

 
At 7/06/2006 8:33 PM, Blogger tia tells all . . .

You know SC, when I cut my wrists over and over again back in the day, there wasn't "SI" specifically. It's all so clear to me now.

It's a bitch all of this addicted behavior, isn't it?

Glad to hear you're progressing over each one, one day at a time!
xoxo

 
At 7/07/2006 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous tells all . . .

It sounds like you have come a long way..thank you for sharing it with us.

 
At 7/07/2006 10:35 PM, Blogger Sober @ Sundown tells all . . .

Thanks for your honesty.

 
At 7/09/2006 3:41 PM, Blogger Mary Christine tells all . . .

Donde es Sober Chick?

 
At 7/09/2006 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous tells all . . .

Hi. My name is Dawn. I have 15 months of sobriety. I am recovering from eating disorders as well. I used to cut and burn myself before I had my son. I don't anymore but I am still scarred. Just going to take a look around your blog now.

 
At 7/10/2006 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous tells all . . .

Hi Sober Chic,
Just stopping by to say Hello and hope your doing well:)

 
At 7/11/2006 9:08 AM, Blogger Scott M. Frey tells all . . .

just a quick hello Christina, how ya doin girl?? thanks for comin by my blog today... miss ya :-)

peace to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home