Sober Chick

Here are the unleashed pages of a sober chick in recovery. My journey (date of sobriety) began on June 13th, 2005. For 29 years of my life I was spiritually sick. Emotinally defeated by drunken black-outs, bulimic binging and purging episodes and self-mutilation, I finally surrendered.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

So many gifts in Sobriety

I love this gift of sobriety. Today I got to spend most of my day participating in an event called orienteering. I have avoided this because I am horrible with directions and the challenge is quite physical. My avoidance has been based on fear; fear of learning something new; fear of getting lost; fear of boredom; fear of competing with others; fear of not meeting my own expectations.

All my fears proved to be wrong! I was willing (thank you AA) to take myself out of my comfort zone and accept something new. I did not allow my expectations to consume me. The result, I gave myself permission to have fun, to learn the art of orienteering and explore God's gift of nature. Along with Eric (my teacher for today) and Mitch, we walked, hiked, and climed the land around Griffith Park completeing 2 courses!

Today I walked away with an experience. AA allows me to be a part of something, to have purpose in life. I am inspired to live life with gratitude and serenity everyday by those walking the spiritual path. I am discovering similar gifts by being a part of the Elite Fiteness Program. There are individuals there that are beautiful, and do these activities because it promotes a mental and physical healthy life style.

The bottom line, last year at this time I could not do this. The bottle would call to me, tell me I need no one but it. It was very selfish as I was selfish with it. I was living but not alive. Today, I am A-L-I-V-E.

todAAy i am thAAnkful & grAAteful:
* The gift of sobriety
* Eric, a wonderful man, and his ambition to help others; Elite Fitness Activities
* Mitch and his little comment that was so cute today, "are you thinking?" as I blurted out something after silence -- what an Al-Anon. I love him so.
* My old lady friend Olive -- had her 6 month comprehensive exam and has a clean bill of health.
* Our 4 cats, despite Asia having poop on her but and dragging it on the bed. LOL, gotta love um.
* The desire to not to alone (most of the time)
* My experiences at Casa and the life long friends I have met there.
* Ed's meeting and the wonderul recovery there
* Candles and how they illuminate my evenings
* My health
* All the recovery onLine. You inspire me to live each day in completeness.

A few weeks ago I asked God to enter my soul, again. I prayed for His presence in all my affairs. I am grateful to God for loving me each day; Him loving me for being human. I am grateful that my God never stops loving me even when I forget to love myself.

12 Comments:

At 4/09/2006 11:15 PM, Blogger lash505 tells all . . .

Griffith Park, I know it well I use to live no far from there when I was a kid. Now the closest park is Balboa in SD.

 
At 4/10/2006 4:07 AM, Blogger Scott M. Frey tells all . . .

Isn't it wonderful to be a part of the solution today, and not a part of the problem anymore?

 
At 4/10/2006 4:14 AM, Blogger Mary Christine tells all . . .

What a beautiful post. Now you are ALIVE. Sober Life is very very good.

 
At 4/10/2006 12:21 PM, Blogger Rex tells all . . .

Feels great to be alive doesn't it? Have a great week.

 
At 4/10/2006 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous tells all . . .

Oh I love this post sober chick!!!!
Thank you,thank you , thank you for saying these words
"I was willing (thank you AA) to take myself out of my comfort zone and accept something new".
I start school this Thursday night and as excited as I am I have anxiety up the wazoooh!!
I guess I have been so comfortable in my own little comfort zone it is natural to be afraid so reading you in your above adventure brightened me up and helped me realize the fear has to go so I can actually learn something!
Thanks for sharing!

 
At 4/10/2006 2:08 PM, Blogger Trudging tells all . . .

Griffith Park isn't that where "someone left my cake out in the rain."

 
At 4/10/2006 6:35 PM, Blogger dAAve tells all . . .

trudge - it's where the Beverly Hillbillies used to hang out

SB - I finally got around to linking you; watch out now! LOL

 
At 4/10/2006 7:12 PM, Blogger butterflygirl tells all . . .

Great post Sober Chick! GOd has given you courage.

 
At 4/10/2006 8:00 PM, Blogger JJ tells all . . .

Wonderful grateful list.
I see you,
JJ

 
At 4/10/2006 11:35 PM, Blogger Katy tells all . . .

YOU are wonderful! Thanks so much for your kind words on my blog... I've been writing like a crazy-woman about my journey so far, and it's really helping me to keep it real. I look forward to reading all your posts and to getting to know you! I will definitely be stopping by regularly - You truly are an inspiration!!!

Thanks for sharing your life with me!

xoxo

 
At 4/11/2006 2:28 PM, Blogger Shannon tells all . . .

Daave how do you know soo much triva??
SC, I loved reading this, thanks, I too am getting out of my comfort zone... YAY

 
At 10/13/2006 6:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous tells all . . .

HI - mind if I ask a question? I am looking for a gift for my sister - she has 2 years clean and I try to get her an "anniversary" gift every year. Last year I got her a silver star necklace with "1 yr" engraved on it. I want something special and something related to God would be nice! Any ideas you could give me? Thanks
Marsha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home